Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Dome Valley

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 – Location:  Mittry Lake near Yuma, Arizona

Again, this morning, the shooting started and the booming, so Yuma would not go out for a walk.  I went ahead and did all my morning duties and even did the dishes.

Around 11 A.M., I asked Yuma if he wanted to go for a ride and he was excited to do so.  Anything to get away from here.  They were still shooting.  I don’t remember this from year’s past.  I wonder if they are preparing for a war!

I had no idea where to go, so we went down hwy 95 towards Yuma and I saw a sign saying Dome Valley and a road heading east towards the southern end of the Kofa National Wildlife Reserve.

IMG_8188The sign said it was old hwy 80.  This was the main highway back before they put in the I-8 interstate.  We drove into the Dome Valley and it is a large valley, flat and mainly agricultural.  Lots of cabbage or lettuce growing and being harvested.  The Gila River runs through the valley, but it is mostly dry.

The land owners in the valley live very well.  Even the mailbox is fancy.

IMG_8183  IMG_8185IMG_8187

I drove hwy 80 to the town of Wellton and that’s where I stopped.  Nothing but flat valley ahead and wasn’t interested.  They had a nice little park with green grass and a great place for Yuma to walk around without fear of being shot.

After that I stopped into an antique store, Pauline’s Treasures, just to look around.  Didn’t buy anything, but it did have a lot of neat stuff.

IMG_8193IMG_8196IMG_8197

Coming back, hwy 80 ran right into I-8 at telegraph pass going through the Fortuna Foothills just east of Yuma.  Took the exit for hwy 95 heading back home and on the way I could see this old bridge. 

IMG_8210IMG_8213

Looked it up on Google and it is an 800 foot bridge named the McPhaul Swinging Bridge.   I couldn’t walk on it because of all the Keep Out signs.

While driving towards Mittry Lake, I could see this large plume of smoke off in the distance in the direction of the lake area. IMG_8216

Having been evacuated from the lake area several years ago because of fire, I was a little nervous, so we hurried home.  As we got near the Yuma Proving Ground I could tell it was coming from somewhere within the grounds itself and not the lake area.

When we got to the RV, we did our normal resting for the afternoon.  I’m beginning to really like the resting part of the day.

I have had friends sending me comments about my blog posts on Text and Facebook.  I realized that not everyone knows you can post a comment on the blog itself. 

Each time I post my day’s events, at the very bottom of the post is Posted by Doug Laning and the time.  Right after that is the word Comments.  Comments is a link and it will open up the comment section at the end of the post.  You can read comments made by others and there is a Reply field at the bottom where you can write and post your own comment.  By doing this, I won’t miss any comments you make because I read and respond to each one daily. 

There you have it, blog knowledge you thought you never needed to know.

IMG_8225

See you later.

16 comments:

  1. That bridge is really cool! Was it in pretty bad shape? You always have great pictures. The green of the cabbage or lettuce fields is very bright against the white fence! Take care Dad. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. It was in pretty bad shape. I wished I could have walked over it but the signs looked pretty serious. Love you.

      Delete
  2. I love that stagecoach mailbox! How awesome is that! It may be adry valley, nut the irrigation looks good. Too bad you couldnt get closer to the swinging bridge. Did it say how long the bridge had been there? Interesting antique store. Hope things aren't as noisy tomorrow. Beautiful sunset! What's in the background? Trees? Good night to you and Yuma! ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dolly. Was a neat mailbox. The bridge was built in 1929, but not used for long. They call it the Yuma bridge to nowhere​. Good night to you and Fergie. Lutoo

      Delete
  3. I agree about great pictures. The bridge looked quite interesting.

    The stagecoach display is very original. I sometimes wonder how people come up with such great ideas.

    Poor Yuma I'm sure he's happy to get away from the noise. Resting time must be quiet outside, and I'm like you, I am beginning to enjoy that part of the day more and more...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luckily the shooting and booming ends around noon so Yuma is happy in the afternoons, which happens to be our resting time.

    I've driven up 95 out of Yuma many times and noticed the bridge, but never stopped. The link I put out there about the bridge is quite interesting I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww poor Yuma, glad you were able to get out of there for a bit and enjoy that great drive! Love the mailbox that's too cute! Interesting bridge and story! Beautiful sunset picture once again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Poor Yuma! I may have to move before he'll be happy. What a baby!

      You can tell the rich from the poor in Dome Valley.

      Delete
  6. Did some "googling" on YPG - one of largest military installations in the world. We even let other countries come over here and run maneuvers. They must be operating on one of the ranges closer to Mittry Lake this week ? Sorry for Yuma because it spoils peaceful mornings in camp with coffee and dog bones. But, at least they seem to end the shooting by noon. Still pretty nice location for winter relaxing in the Sunshine for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew it was big. Lots of military things going on over there. Today, the booming hasn't stopped yet. Poor Yuma won't come outside and sit with me. Oh well. He seems content to lay on the hallway floor and stay cool.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I bet that is you Ellen. Just pick one of the reply as choices to get your name and you're in business.:)

      Delete
  8. that sunset picture is stunning - I have started rug hooking and may have to hook it! Cathie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathie. Once you two get here you'll have lots of sunsets to pick from.

      Delete
  9. Lots of cabbage or lettuce growing and being harvested. The Gila River runs through the valley, but it is mostly dry.fences

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca. You're right about that river. It is dry.

      I wondered if it was lettuce or cabbage, now I know it's both. They look almost the same to me.

      Delete