Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Stone Cabin and King Road

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 – Location: Palm Canyon Road near Quartzsite

This morning when I woke up it was 33 degrees but felt much warmer inside.  I believe the very light wind had something to do with how nice it felt.  I even got up at 7:30 and went outside to catch the sun rising over Palm Tree Mountain.


Sunrise at camp.

Had a big breakfast of bacon and eggs with half a grapefruit and milk and OJ.  Tasted great.  I was really hungry.

Felt tired this morning, so didn’t do anything.  Just rested.  Yuma puts up with resting for awhile then he starts wanting to go places.  I’m trying to read blogs and keep Yuma happy at the same time.  He always wants attention making it hard for me to get things done.  Spoiled brat, I think!

Did a lot of resting again this morning.  It was just so beautiful out this morning,  I couldn’t get motivated to do anything except lay in the sun.

The other day when I was using Google Maps to find out how far it is from Yuma to Quartzsite, I saw Bloggerfest on the map.  I guess this event is getting famous.  It made it on the map!


Around 2:30, after a big lunch, Yuma won and we hopped in the Jeep and went.  Not to Quartzsite.  Not ready for that yet.   We turned south on hwy 95 and drove to Stone Cabin about 10 miles south of here.


I think it was our first year out here, Dolly, Fergie and I stopped for some lunch.  This man had opened the Stone Cabin and had a tent to the side of it for an eating area.  He cooked us great hamburgers and we sat in the tent and enjoyed our hamburgers and curly fries with a coca cola.  He was struggling to make a business out of this lonely place on hwy 95 halfway between Yuma and Quartzsite.  As you can see, he didn’t make it.



Across from Stone Cabin is King Road.  It leads into the Kofa National Refuge, so we decided to do a little photo hunting up this dusty and bumpy road.



I met this young couple with four young children, ages one to seven.  It reminded of Dolly and me many years ago.  They were from California.  Yuma is impressed with these two little hikers.


Yuma and I left our little hikers and their Mom and Dad and headed to the top of the ridge to see if there was a photo op up there.  And there were.





Got back to camp around 5 P.M. and we’re ready to call it a day.  Blogging time and dinner and then off to bed for us.  This may be the first day I will eat three squares since beginning this journey.  No wonder I’ve lost weight.

Almost missed a beautiful sunset.

See you later.

16 comments:

  1. Too bad about the Stone Cabin. It was kinda out of the way. That's a beautiful picture of the butte (?). You and Yuma picked a picturesque ride around. You're looking pretty tan from all that testing. 😀 Yuma seemed happy to see some little folks. They probably loved him. When is Bloggers? Beautiful beginning and end to the day. Sleep tight! ❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dolly. Those kids were great! Yuma was facinated with them.

    The Bloggerfest is Saturday afternoon. It was a nice relaxing day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It did not feel that cold thing morning either, but the thermometer said it was. Nice to see you actually had 3 meals today, Good for you.
    I remember the stone Cabin it was a nice stopping spot, like you said too bad he did not make a go of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last night I really bundled up with two sleeping blankets and even wore socks. Before morning I had the socks off and one of the blankets.

      Wonder how long the man was in business? Not long I don't think. I believe it was closed down the next year we drove past.

      Delete
  4. Great sunset photo tonight. Sounds like Yuma is much happier in your new parking place. Liked your pictures of the Palms. That is on our list to visit this year.
    Nothing wrong with a resting not moving morning there is always tomorrow or the next day to get up and move right away. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Be sure to wear hiking boots or good tennis shoes. It's a rocky climb. Wore me out.

      Yuma is much much happier here.

      I'm starting to relax a little and enjoy the days a little better now.

      Delete
  5. Love the pictures. Yuma looks so proper sitting there.
    Looks like Yuma was excited to see the kids. Probably thought he could get some good play time in with them. I'm glad he's away from the noise that scared him so badly.
    Resting is a good thing, I think you and Yuma do an excellent job of it. On the other hand it's good that Yuma gets you motivated to get out and about as well.
    Enjoy your time there. I just may check out that area when next we come to Quartzsite. Looks pretty cozy looking in your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yuma is the boss around here as you can see. Yuma usually doesn't like kids but these little tykes were very nice and didn't jump towards towards him.

      This is a very large and secluded area with lots of BLM RV places available. About eighteen miles south of Q. Plus, you two have got to see the palm trees.

      Delete
  6. Love the pic of you and Yuma on the couch.Too bad about Stone Cabin, seems to be the way of a lot of small businesses. We're heading for Palm Canyon later today. I'm sure Ken will want to do the climb, me not so much..I always worry about snakes. We enjoy our resting too..the old "listen to your body"...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the couch pic you can tell who is King. Yuma loves attention.

      No worry of snakes. Many people pass through there daily and snakes don't hang around people.

      Just take your time and you'll both enjoy the hike and the view. You will know you are the when you see the sign pointing up to them.

      Delete
  7. Seems like Stone Cabin would be a perfect spot for someone with a unique food truck, slurpees, date shakes, & homemade fudge. Lots of colorful signs/flags and some kind of curiosity/roadside attraction to make people stop. Of course, it would be seasonal but in the summer just go up around Yellowstone. I've got it all figured out - just need someone to front me $70K and I'll give it a whirl. 😱😵😳

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Moonfly. Don't waste your $70 grand. When we were there when it was open, he had the flags and the whole nine yards.

      Better to use that money for a nice RV and enjoy your retirement in the BLM.

      Delete
  8. Stone Cabin sounded awesome. Love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristi. Good to hear from you.

      Hope all is well at your place. Having a good time in the warm weather here.

      Delete
  9. Who’s that in the picture with you and Yuma I. The MH? I do t recognize his face. 😂. Beautiful sunset pic! 🌅 Much Love from me, Jim and Keats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. That's us just resting. They do have pretty sunsets in the southwest quite often. Love you all.

      Delete