Sunday, January 28, 2018

Cibola Lake the hard way

Sunday, January 28, 2018 - Location:  Palm Canyon Road near Quartzsite, AZ

Have you ever driven hwy 95 between Yuma and Quartzsite and seen this sign?  Well, I have and always wondered what the road is like.  Forty-five miles is a long way to go to see a lake driving on a dusty and bumpy road.
  
So, I looked it up on my Google Maps and found the proper way to get to Cibola Lake is to take I-10 west to Blythe, California and then head south.  All paved and not a problem.  Except one way is 45 miles and the other is 70 miles around.  I decided this morning we would take the shortcut.  So, we took off at 11 A.M. ready to roll.

Let me tell you, driving at 15 to 25 mph for 45 miles is no shortcut.  Took us two hours to finally arrive at the small town of Cibola just north of Cibola National Wildlife Refuge.  We never saw a soul the whole time.  Kept thinking, this is a bad place to breakdown, so don't even think about it.  Plus, no cell service.  Luckily, I had texted Dolly to let her know where we were headed in case she never heard from me again today.

The entire journey was in the Yuma Proving Ground and we were warned not to venture from the road because of danger in stepping on live munitions.  So, we stuck to Cibola Road.


Lots of signs telling us this was a bad idea, but I was determined.

They even had a landing strip out in the middle of nowhere.

Pretty views all around and I couldn't miss them going around 15 mph most of the time because of the wash board road.

 Along the way I could see off in the distance what looked like an Army training base.  There didn't appear to be anybody home.

 



Finally got through the foothills we had been driving through and now we are in the same valley Blythe, California is in.  I believe this is the Colorado River Basin extending from here all the way over to those mountains in the distance.

My first sign that we are getting to somewhere.  The road actually got worse once we left the high country because now we were in sandy wash low country.  Never had to put it in 4-wheel drive, but close a couple of times.

  
Finally, our first sign of civilization ahead.  I believe it is the little town of Cibola at the entrance of the Cibola N.W.R.

Saw the cute direction sign as we came out on the blacktop in Cibola.  We had finally made it through the hard part.  Now to to find the Refuge.
  
Just south of the town we ran right into the Cibola N.W.R.
Nice Visitor Center with exhibits of the area inside.  I picked up a brochure and we headed in.
  


When I arrived at the lake, it looked a lot like Mittry Lake with little water and lots of reeds.  Is that Pelicans I see?






We didn't spend much time looking for the lake.  It has been three hours now and we are tired and hungry.  Just want to go home.  

My advice is if you want to go to Cibola Lake, take the long way.  Much easier on you and your vehicle.  I'll be spitting dust for a week.

We stopped at Albertsons in Blythe to pick up groceries and then a quick stop in Quartzsite for gas.  Gas in Blythe was $3.59 and in Q it is $2.34.   A lot of difference.  Worth the 12 mile drive.  

We made it back to the RV at 4:30 P.M and we are bushed.

See you later.

16 comments:

  1. Youust have seen every bush and cacti on the way to Cibola Lake. The dog trot cabin was interesting. It had seen better times. What was the town like? That sign post had every place you'd want o go, pointed out! Pretty cool! I couldnt believe th big flock of pelicans! That was awesome! I'm sure Yuma didn't like the washboardy road. All that bouncing tired you both out, I'm sure. Have a good night ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a long drive and my knuckles were white holding onto the steering wheel so tight.

      The little town of Cibola was nothing but a group of houses. No real town.

      Yuma sits up front now so he doesn't get jostled as badly.

      Until I saw the photo after downloading, I thought they were white rocks out there. I was surprised when I saw they were pelicans.

      Delete
  2. Think it was Ivan who told us about that dusty washboard 45 mile road to Cibola from the east so we never tried it. Have been there from the Blyth side though and overnighted once. Those washboard roads sure beat up a vehicle for sure and there are a lot of those kinds of roads out here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I knew it was going to be bad. I was hoping we would drive through some mountains, but didn't.

      I hate washboard roads with a passion.

      Delete
  3. Tom and I have seen that sign more then once and wondered about the road and even talked about going down it. Thank you for taking us along today so we know better then to turn on to it. Nice pictures of your trip.
    It was certainly nice seeing you and Yuma at Bloggerfest yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Glad I could save you the agony. It tired me out just holding onto the steering wheel so tight. Good to see you two again too. Maybe we'll meet up down the road again

      Delete
  4. So that's what is down that road. Yes, we were wondering, so thanks for saving us the uncomfortable drive. maybe we'll try the road from Blythe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I guess I'm not the only one who wondered about that road. I think I missed most of the beauty of Cibola Lake because I was low on gas and didn't want to chance getting lost. I think there is a lot of great views to see at the lake. It is an easy drive from Blythe.

      Delete
  5. Great pictures even if the road wasn't the best. Always nice to know where a road goes though. Thanks for sharing.
    Glad it went alright. I would hate to think of a break down in there, what a long walk to get any kind of help.
    Bet you sleep well tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. You sure were up late last night. It was one of those drives that I knew I had to do. That sign has been bugging me for years and now I know.

      Much better drive from Blythe and I'm sure there is a lot to see at the lake I missed because I was just tired and low on gas.

      Delete
  6. Now that was an adventure, thanks for checking out that road for us, we always wondered where it went as well. Now we don't have to take it. That would be a long day but at least you got some groceries and gas. Now relax until next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Amazing the number of us that have wondered about that road. I sure took the long way to get groceries, that's for sure.

      Delete
  7. Reading this I'm saying Doug, Doug, Doug...you are too funny. Poor Dolly, she was probably anxiously waiting to hear that you were ok. Beautiful pictures though. Thinking today will be a take it easy day for you. Really enjoyed meeting you two at Bloggerfest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley. I just had to see if that road went through the mountains similar to the I-10 drive, but it didn't. It skirted around and went through a valley, so not the exciting drive I was hoping for.

      Great seeing you two and enjoy the Yuma area. Hope the shooting and booming is not in your area.

      Delete
  8. I checked on "Desert USA" and yes, those are white pelicans !! Cibola is a NWR that is very isolated and difficult to get to. I would have never made it past all those huge warning signs. You're lucky it was Sunday or someone at YPG might have used you for simulated target practice. You are goofy. Throw a jar of peanut butter and a box of granola bars in the back of your Jeep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Moonfly. I certainly had water and a bag of nut mix. Enough to last me a week the way I eat.

      I think going to Blythe and down would have been much more comfortable but not as scenic or interesting.

      When I lived in Florida the pelicans were normally gray. I didn't know they were birds because of the zoom until I got home and downloaded and looked at it. Surprised to see that many white pelicans flocked together.

      Delete