Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Visit to Lowell in Bisbee, Arizona

Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Didn’t sleep very well last night so I’m tired today.  Guess it was too quiet around here.  There isn’t a lot to look at here, but it is very nice and quiet.  Full hook-ups and showers for $20 a night.

IMG_7337 The 18th green of the golf course.  Most of the RVers at this campground are golfers.

IMG_7471

This morning, I decided to stay two nights.  Today, around 10:30 this morning, Yuma and I drove the 26 miles north to Bisbee for a little sightseeing.  Bisbee is a lot like Ajo.  They are both pit mining towns.  Ajo is in the desert and Bisbee is in the mountains. 

You can read the history of Bisbee at this link.  Most of the photos you see below are from the satellite community of Lowell.  I also took a lot of photos of the old Bisbee district, but my internet link is so slow I’m leaving those for another day.

On my way through Douglas, I saw a car wash and I stopped to wash the salt and dirt off the Jeep. 

IMG_7358I feel better about that.  Couldn’t believe I made it all the way out of the north country just to find salt spread on I-20 just outside of Odessa, Texas.  I hate salt and never intentionally drive the Jeep or MH on salt roads.

When leaving the car wash, I noticed there is a Walmart Supercenter here in Douglas.  After our visit to Bisbee I went there to pick up some cash.  They don’t allow over night camping, in case you wondered.

Heading through the Mule Mountains towards Bisbee.

IMG_7352-001IMG_7354

These photos are of a small community within Bisbee known as Lowell.  Not much has changed here over these past many years.  It’s mainly a tourist attraction, but low key.

IMG_7359IMG_7362IMG_7363IMG_7366IMG_7371IMG_7372IMG_7373

IMG_7375

IMG_7378IMG_7386IMG_7387IMG_7388

IMG_7389IMG_7390IMG_7391IMG_7396

IMG_7399

This is the Phelps Dodge Mining pit and gold and copper was dug out of this huge hole in the ground.  It was was bought out in 2007 and is again an active mining operation.  This pit is so big it replaced parts of Bisbee as it grew.

IMG_7405

Lowell is a nice area to visit if you are ever in the Bisbee area.

See you later.

12 comments:

  1. Bisbee/Lowell is very antiquey-looking. Loved seeing all the old cars around town. Did you have lunch at the Brisbee Breakfast Club? I'll bet it would be an experience. The Mule Mountains are beautiful! Is the mine PIT as big as the one in Ano? I wonder if they still get gold from it. Enjoy your second day in Douglas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dolly. No lunch at the BBC today. They won't let poor Yuma go inside. I think they are about the same size.

      Delete
  2. Is that the open pit mine where there is a parking area along the road to stop? I can see we need to visit the Bisbee area again. Enjoyed your pictures of the area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that's it. It is a nice place for a afternoon visit. Be sure to visit Lowell. You may have to ask directions but it is right in Bisbee. Just one street and may be hard to find.

      Delete
  3. Having been to Lowell a number of times I think that is the most vehicles I have ever seen parked on old Erie street before. Bisbee is such a fascinating place and in fact this whole South-Eastern area of Arizona is steeped in history. Many things to see and do if one has the time, the energy and the interest to do it. You got some good photos there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Al. Amazing how much I had forgotten sine last here. You know more about the Southwest than the locals.

      Delete
  4. We've never made the Bisbee/Lowell area for some unknown reason..but thinking it needs to be on our list this year as we head towards Texas once we get on the road. Beautiful pictures Doug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. If you haven't seen Tombstone do them both in the same day or stay at the Tombstone RV campground.

      Delete
  5. Lovely bright colorful photos. But, you forgot the star of the show. Only dogs in these pics are "Greyhounds" - where's Yuma. ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Moonfly. Thank you. I was just thinking that this morning. I got a couple of him in Tombstone.

      Delete
  6. Great pics. Do those old cars actually run? Or are they just for show? Never been to the area although we were close, its on our list for next year. Enjoy your two day stop over. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My wife and I were here four years ago and those cars were there, so I doubt if they run. Just for show.

      Delete