Sunday, January 14, 2018

Yuma, Arizona

Sunday, January 14, 2018 – Location:  Yuma, Arizona

My goal this morning was to leave the RV Resort at 11 A.M. and that’s what I did.  Yuma and I headed up hwy 85 to Gila Bend and grabbed the I-8 interstate towards Yuma, 114 miles west.  A few pretty views along hwy 85 in the Barry M. Goldwater Air Force Bombing Range.

IMG_8085IMG_8088

There was a power plant being powered by thousands of solar panels along I-8.

IMG_8089

It was a nice leisurely drive on a partly cloudy mid-seventies day.  There were trains coming and going along the tracks just south of I-8.

IMG_8092IMG_8093

The only thing of note was I came across an accident that had happened very recently.  A red older truck had left the highway and rolled into the desert and ended up on its side against the wall of a small wash.  It looked like a horrific accident.

There was one highway patrol officer there and a number of cars had stopped to help.  I have no skills to help and I didn’t want to stop and gawk.  For the next 20 minutes as I was driving, emergency vehicles of all kinds were coming east to assist the injured.

Anyways, we kept going and arrived at the Yuma east side Walmart around three  P.M. where I picked up the groceries I needed.  We also got gas for the RV.  It was 50 cents a gallon cheaper here than in Ajo.  Glad I didn’t buy it there.

Ran up hwy 95 to the Yuma Proving Ground and followed Imperial Dam Road to our secret camp just north of Mittry Lake. 

IMG_8112IMG_8113  IMG_8114

Got there around 4:15 and ready to call it a night.  There isn’t another soul in this large flat area between the canal and  Imperial Dam Road.   Lots of open space.  In the mirror you can see the the Imperial Irrigation District compound across the road from us.

IMG_8116

See you later.

15 comments:

  1. Glad you and Yuma made it to Yuma! It sounds like the weather is gorgeous. I'm sure youll enjoy your peaceful camp. Wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dolly. I hope so. Its pretty warm here, but not uncomfortable. It's 69 with a low of 52. Great sleeping weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to read your spot was open and waiting for you and Yuma to arrive and enjoy.

    Always hate seeing accidents of any kind and Tom and I agree, if there are people there helping, it is best to just keep going. They do not need others in the way watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. If I can't help I need to get out of the way. Plus I don't need bad memories implanted in my brain. I'm hoping for the best for them.

      Can't believe no one else is here. May be restricted with no signs and someone will come along and throw me out.

      Delete
  4. Glad you are Safe and weren't part of the accident.
    Enjoy your secret spot.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. That was some horrible rollover. As old as the truck was I bet there were people strewn everywhere. I knew I didn't want to remember what I might see if I stopped. Since there were a number of people on the scene I thought it best if I didn't stop and clog up traffic.

      Delete
  5. Nice that you are now in the Imperial Dam, area and peaceful.
    I lost the link for your blog then finally found it again hmmm.. You and Yuma travel safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found us George. I've been trying some of your dishes to stay away from frozen dinners.

      Looks like Quartzsite is beginning to get crowded.

      Delete
    2. I was wondering why I was not getting your postings, but then I found the reason. Glad you are enjoying some easy tasty meals. Getting busy but not crowded where we are.

      Delete
  6. Glad your journey was safe and accident free. Looks like a great place to park.
    Enjoy your time there Doug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. Going up and around Mittry Lake this morning to see if there are any great places.

      Delete
  7. Funny 11 seems to be our "leaving" time..hopefully a little earlier this am. Looks like a great place where you are..Too bad about the accident, always sad to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not an early riser. I start moving around when the sun warms me up. Kinda like a turtle, I guess. Eleven is about the time I'm done with morning stuff.

      Delete
  8. Love all the trains you see in the Southwest. Nice your secret spot was there waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Moonfly. But I took a drive through Mittry Lake and found a nice place place overlooking the reeds of the lake so I moved the short distance to it.

    ReplyDelete