Monday, January 15, 2018

Moved to Mittry Lake

Monday, January, 15, 2018 – Location: Mittry Lake near Yuma, Arizona

Got a good night’s sleep and I needed it for some reason.  Didn’t wake up until nearly 8 A.M.  I guess you know I’m not normally an early riser.  I like to get up after sunrise, so I usually miss the beautiful ones.

First thing was to take Yuma for a walk.  This is the canal north of our site in the kinda early hours of the morning.

IMG_8117

After breakfast, Yuma and I decided to take the short drive down Imperial Dam Road to the lake turn-off.  I drove slowly, like 12 mph and the road wasn’t bad most of the time and I didn’t kick up dust.  About two miles in I found a beautiful site just off the road that I really liked. 

Here are some of the views as we drove along the lake.

IMG_8119

IMG_8120

IMG_8121

IMG_8122

I went back to the secret spot along the canal and quickly loaded up and was unloaded and in camp by 2 P.M.  As for leaving my previous camp, I just don’t know if I’m allowed to camp there for weeks at a time.  There are no signs prohibiting overnight camping, but there is probably a reason there is no one there.

Oh well, I do like my new location on the lake.  Thank goodness the wind usually  blows to the east because I’m not far off the road on the west side.  Dust from the occasional truck, car or ATV doesn’t get to the RV.  At least, not today.

Actually, there are only reeds in my location.   Here’s a view from my doorway.

IMG_8124  IMG_8134

The actual water is more to my south, but I can see it.  I am going nowhere for the rest of this nice warm and sunny day.  Just lay around with Yuma and relax. 

Here’s the Imperial Dam miles to the north and a zoom in on the Yuma Proving Ground base to the east. 

IMG_8128

IMG_8129

Off in the distance is Castle Dome (one in the center).  Several years ago, I tried to climb it but ran out of daylight before reaching the top and had to turn back.   Here is the post for that adventure.

I wish I had the strength this year to try it, but I know my limits and climbing it is out of the question, unless I made it a two day attempt.  Plus, Yuma is afraid of heights, so I would have a problem towards the top climbing the rock face. 

IMG_8136

Oh yes, almost forgot.  I called Verizon this morning and explained my predicament of needing a Jetpack for my laptop because I have no modem.  I only get 15 gigs of data on my unlimited plan using a Jetpack and that is not nearly enough to post and read the photo extensive blogs.  They don’t cut me off, they just slow it down to 600 KBS which won’t run anything, much less a blog.

The nice lady explained they offer large data packs but just don’t advertise them.  Instead they advertise the Unlimited Plan, because for most people it is the cheapest plan and works well for most.  The only problem is I can’t switch from Unlimited to another plan except at the end of the monthly charge date.

So, I’m under a very tight data leash until the 29th and then I will change to a 40 gig plan for only $25 more per month I think.  That should take care of the rest of my winter trip’s needs.

No great sunset tonight.  Had a cloud cover to the west that covered the sun and any glow it could make.

Time for dinner.  Yuma is waiting.

See you later.

14 comments:

  1. Very pretty pictures of the are around the lake! It looks like Yuma is getting a little rest. ☺ it's probably a good idea to not try to tackle Castle Dome. You can always admire it from afar. It looks like you have a peaceful place there on Mittry Lake. A good place to rest and relax!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dolly. I like it here along the lake. Peaceful. Heard an owl Early evening and coyotes yipping throughout the night. Warm enough to leave the window open all night.

      Delete
  2. Looks like you found another perfect campsite , enjoy your time there as I know you will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George. It is nice here alongside the lake. Lots of coyotes yapping here at night.

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear the dust was not has bad as the day we drove in. We would have loved to have stayed in the spot we found but the dust coming off the road was just to much for me. We could see other spots a little farther off but we could tell most would not hold the Stinger "B". Enjoy your time there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. There is a lot of dust in the air, no doubt a out it. Looked at the top of my laptop this morning and I could write my name on it.:)

      But I enjoy the views and wildlife here, so will take the dust. I hope the wind keeps blowing to the east though or it will be unbearable.

      Delete
  4. Glad you've found yourself a couple of good sites for future use as well. We're going to be heading down that way in a few weeks so it's good to know about dust. Yuma looks like he's just tuckered right out. Moving is hard work for the poor fella. Enjoy your time there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb. Yuma gets a little nervous when we move.

      And there is a lot of fine dust on Lake Mittry Road. You will have to drive very slowly.

      I like it here better than on Ogilby Road. More wildlife and greenery.

      Delete
  5. Re: Castle Dome climb - glad Yuma is there to protect you when common sense falters. You have always enjoyed Mittry Lake ( I remember the fire too ) - and your photos from there have been awesome. Looking forward to more good times this visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Moonfly. Yes, the fire and the hard days climb. The good old days when I was young and brazen. I now can only look and ponder.

      I am looking forward to my Yuma visit.

      Delete
  6. Looks awesome where you are and beautiful pictures once again! I love Castle Dome but not on my list of things to do...hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not me anymore. Old man time has done me in. All I can do is look with envy anymore.

      Delete
  7. Another great day. We enjoyed a day at Castle Dome City during stay, not sure if it is Yuma friendly. Enjoy following your travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a neat place to visit. Dolly and I went there a number of years ago. Thanks for following along. Not sure I can match my previous years adventures. It's getting harder.:(

      Delete