Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Spiral Labyrinth in Kofa

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 – Location: Palm Canyon Road near Quartzsite, AZ

Woke up this morning with a very sore and tired body.  Not going far today.  Just rest and get ready to move on after the big super blue blood moon eclipse tomorrow morning.  Sure hope the partly cloudy day we’re having doesn’t spoil it.

Yesterday, late afternoon, before I knew how sore I really was, I took a two mile Jeep ride over to see the Kofa Spiral Labyrinth.   Been coming here for several years and never heard of it.   I found out as I was talking to a lady at the Palms sign in Palm Canyon.  She asked if I had ever heard of it and I told her know I hadn’t.

She said to look it up on Google and it would tell me where it was along Palm Canyon Road.  After resting awhile, I looked it up and it was only two miles from my RV, so Yuma and I jumped back in the Jeep and followed Ms. Google Maps right to the spot.

We walked all around it and shot photos of it and as I was standing there, I heard someone say, “Hi, Yuma and Doug!”  I looked over and there was a black truck with a white camper.  As I looked closer, I said, “Is that you, Gaeyln?”  I had just talked with her the other day at the Bloggerfest.

Am I seeing a mirage in the spiral?

IMG_8767IMG_8768IMG_8770

You can see Gaeyln’s camper right near the labyrinth.

IMG_8771

In the center was like a fire ring and inside all kinds of trinkets and money people left for good luck.

IMG_8816

IMG_8773

I walked over and asked if she was taking photos of the spiral.  She said that she didn’t even know it was there when she parked earlier for the night.  What a coincidence.

Gaelyn had her camera tripod all set up and she was studying her cell phone.  Gaelyn is an excellent photographer.  She had a new app she was learning to use that would pinpoint the exact location of one object in relationship to where her camera was and another object. 

Anywaaay, her plan was to pinpoint exactly where the moon was going to come up over the Kofa mountains and a Saguaro for a great photo shot.  Me, I will just point and shoot and hope for the best.  Be sure  to check out her website, Geogypsy Traveler for her moon shots in the coming days.

My accomplishment for today is a few walks around the area while shooting at anything that didn’t move with my camera and the moon rising.

KOFA Mountains

One of the many practice moon shots tonight and a dry wash flowing through the Mesquite trees.

IMG_8836  IMG_8810-001

See my MH in the center?  Sure beats staying in a motel or hotel!

IMG_8813

IMG_8798

IMG_8801IMG_8802

Wonder what these two old codgers are arguing about?  Sure are beat up.

IMG_8808

Didn’t catch the moon as it first rose over the Kofa mountains, but hopefully good enough.  Better not miss the morning shots!

IMG_8822IMG_8834

IMG_8822-001

Cloudy out tonight.  They are calling for mostly clear skies in the morning.  Hope so.

IMG_8838

See you later.

18 comments:

  1. Fantastic moon shots! Just beautiful, all of them. I love the "Old Codgers"! The twilight picture is really amazing. That's neat that people leave little moment is in the fire ring at the Kofa Spiral. Really inspiring place. I hope you can get rested up and ready for the lunar eclipse in the morning. Have a good night! ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dolly. Can't believe I dawdled around and missed it rising over the mountains. There's always tomorrow evening. Kinda neat to have the spiral close by so I didn't have to strain myself.

      I shoulda collected the money in the center of the spiral. Then it would actually do someone some good.

      Going to be an early start to the day tomorrow. Hope the weather cooperates.

      Delete
  2. Great moon shots. We just heard about the Labyrinth a couple of days ago, also. Planning on taking a ride over that way to walk it and maybe find a place to park for a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Plenty of places to park, but the road is quite bumpy. The labyrinth is not very big so doesn't take long to take it in.

      Delete
  3. Excellent pictures. Love the Labyrinth. Glad you're taking it easy and resting up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Couldn't do anything but rest. I hurt everywhere.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful pictures! Never heard of the labyrinth either, but it sure is something! What a small world to run into Gaelyn like that! Your moon and the mountains is beautiful. We're watching the eclipse now, as I am sure you are too. Amazing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope your camera catches the beauty of the eclipse. Mine wasn't strong enough in the fading light to catch sharp Photos. It was great to watch though.

      Delete
  5. That spiral is so cool! Did Yuma leave any trinkets in the center for good luck? I always love your Moon photos-can’t wait to see your morning shots! It was too cloudy here to get to enjoy it. Your pictures are great Doug and those 2 old cacti look like they are enjoying their retirement! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. Didn't leave anything behind. Should have collected the money so it would be doing somebody some good.

      Dolly mentioned the clouds covered the eclipse. Too bad. We had clear skies. Love you.

      Delete
  6. We stumbled across that labyrinth a few years ago on a morning walk while boon-docked nearby and it is truly amazing. Boggles the mind to think someone spent all that time putting it together and it sure makes one wonder about the thoughts behind it. Nice moon shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Al. I'm staying nearby and didn't know it was there till someone mentioned it.

      Looking forward to your moon photos of the eclipse. Hope you got good ones.

      Delete
  7. Funny how people keep having chance encounters in the desert. Really like that photo of your Jeep and Gaelyn's truck - kind of like bookends with mountains in center and all those spiral circles. Reminds me of tossing a rock in a lake and watching all the ripples coming away from it. My favorite photo is your mirage of the damsel in the pretty white dress - mountains, desert, saguaros, blue skies, and dreams. Just captivating ! 🌵🌷🌞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still not sure if she was a mirage or not.😁

      Big open spaces out here but it is a small world at times.

      Delete
  8. Next year, things are piling up but since we want to go to Palm Canyon anyway, we'll look for the labyrinth. I love that stuff!
    Great photos all around, the moon and the arguing saguaro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patsy. I know what you mean. Lots to do and see but not enough time to do it all.

      Retirement is tough!

      Delete
  9. A lot of great pictures! I'm sure there will be a lot of moon shots!:) Looks like a beautiful area you're in. Take care Dad. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. Nice area but getting time to move on. Over 300 moon shots. Alot of them turned out terrible though. Love you.

      Delete