Thursday, December 17, 2020

Ajo Cemetery

 Woke about 7:45 and was up by 8:15 and fixing coffee.  Can't remember if I mentioned it or not but I'm no longer using the percolator pot anymore.  I have moved up to the electric model and I like it better.  Only problem is I have to turn the generator on while it is percolating, but I don't need it to keep the pot hot.  

Had my two coffees and 12 Ritz crackers and it was quite warm when I stepped outside.  Few clouds but mostly sunny.  Supposed to get to 70 today. :)  We walked over and chatted with Tom and Deb until around noon.  Then Yuma and I went back home to finish breakfast.  Quite warm outside.

It wasn't till later in the afternoon that Yuma wanted to go somewhere, so decided we would drive into Ajo and wander around in areas I hadn't been to before.  It had clouded up and without the sun the temperature had dropped to 66 and it felt cool.

Driving along just outside of town on the old highway into Ajo, I saw lots of ravens off to my left.  Found the town dump.



Ajo is to the southwest of the dump

The next place I stumbled onto is the Ajo Cemetery.  I was surprised at how many residents were here.  I think there are more here than living in Ajo.

The other thing that surprised me is the condition it is in.  It is to say, the least, unkempt.  After visiting the Darby Well Cemetery the other day way out in the middle of nowhere and seeing how neat and clean it was, this cemetery is a disaster.





It was nearly 5 o'clock by the time we returned to the White Lion and time for dinner.  Had a nice steak with grilled potatoes and corn.  It was yummy.

Just as Yuma and I finished dinner, Tom stopped by and said he was getting ready to start a fire, so we headed over to sit in front of the raging fire.  There was no wind and the clouds had dissipated, so the evening was perfect.  After a couple hours, the air was cooling down as was the fire, so it was time to head back home.

The fire is mesmerizing!

We had a very nice relaxing visit and once we got home, it was time for dessert and get the blog done.  Had a very relaxing day and now it's time to call it a night.

See you later.

15 comments:

  1. What a surprise to see the condition of the Ajo Cemrtary. Don't they have a caretaker? Is it still used? Loved seeing all the Ravens, even if it was at the city dump. Beautiful fire at Tom and Deb's. Sounds like a very nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice day. I guess it's up to the families to keep the cemetery clean. Lits of birds.

      Delete
  2. Don't you just love a nice fire? Interesting about the cemetery. I'm surprised no one keeps it up. Maybe that could be a winter project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a beautiful evening for a fire. No wind at all.

      Delete
  3. I love how you take your time in the am to get going :) Yes that is sad about the cemetery! Love a roaring fire in the cool (cold here) evenings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love to start slow and enjoy my mornings. Perfect evening for a fire.

      Delete
  4. An evening fire under the stars sure would be a mesmerizing way to end your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just a beautiful day and the fire clenched it.

      Delete
  5. That fire with you sitting around it reminds me of doing just that years ago. It was so much fun. Thanks for the memories 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vera. There were many years before I got to this point. Really enjoy this life.

      Delete
  6. What a shame the cemetery is let go like that. I wonder when the last 'resident' arrived.
    The fire looks wonderful and Deb and Tom are certainly mesmerized. It looks like they're enjoying their new chairs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even here the Cemeteries seem to be ignored.
    Finishing the day by the Fire is always relaxing.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rick. Tom makes an excellent 🔥 You really need a caretaker to keep cemeteries cleared I think.

      Delete
  8. I think we must have missed the Ajo cemetery, I don't remember it. Its been a very long time since I've enjoyably sat by a desert campfire.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just stumbled on it going down the old highway going by the high school. If it wasn't for Tom I wouldn't be sitting by one. He's the fire man 👩‍🚒

    ReplyDelete