Saturday, December 12, 2020

Burros

 This morning I was up early at 6 o'clock and turned on the generator to charge my nearly dead batteries once again.  It was so close to sunup I decided to just stay up and fix bacon and eggs for breakfast.

After breakfast I notice Tom and Deb Celebrating the Dance were outside having their coffee so me and Yuma walked over and joined them for awhile.

After discussing everything but politics we came back to our camp and as I was preparing to go into town, Yuma started barking.  He was sitting at the front window, so I looked outside and to my surprise there were four burros walking within 100 feet of the front of the White Lion.  Grabbed my camera and went outside.  

Yuma's barking had startled them so they had stopped and were looking in this direction.  Then they moseyed on out of sight.  Looked like a male, two females and a youngster.   First time I've seen burros here, but yesterday Yuma and I followed their trail for quite a way so we knew they were around.  Wouldn't have seen them if Yuma hadn't alerted me.



Then around noon, Yuma and I went into Ajo to get gas for the Jeep and to fill a 20 lb. propane tank so I can try out my new fire pit one of these nice evenings.  Got that done and then decided to drive over to the New Cornelia open pit mine to get a few pictures.

See the "A" on the mountain in the background?


Mural on building next to service station says it all



Black Mountain across the pit
After visiting the pit, we took the scenic route around the back of the Little Ajo Mountains to our camp site.

Stucco lizard
I used to follow the blog of the person that made this piece and lived in this house.  No longer blogs, but Al will remember this colorful guy.

Hiking up

See my Jeep way down there?


When I got to the top of the hillside, I could see the open pit over to the left and the ground has all been cleared leaving an interesting color.  Black Mountain is in the background.

As we traveled on along the scenic drive I stopped at the "Cow Plops" i.e. cow pies, to talk to a guy I met there the other day, named Randy.  He was telling me his son and a friend were hiking in the mountains and while we were talking he got a call from him.  He was at the top of a mountain looking down at us.  Those years are passed for Randy and me.
Taken with my zoom

Less zoom
Earlier Tom mentioned he would be building a fire so after dinner I looked over and there was a big blaze going so Yuma and I went over to enjoy the evening with friends.  Unfortunately, I found out Yuma does not like fire and hung way back sitting in the dark, so I took him home.  Poor Yuma.

We chatted for awhile enjoying the pitch black moonless night and the warm blaze.  Around 8:30 I joined Yuma and now I'm working on my blog and will soon be getting ready for bed.

See you later.

17 comments:

  1. Wonderful pictures of those sweet burros. That mine is really amazing. So big! I'm surprised you and Randy weren't up on that mountain top with those young guys. You can't tell from the pic that Yuma doesn't like the fire. He looks pretty content there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would probably take me a week to climb that mountain. That is my leg you see and not Yuma by the fire. :) He wouldn't come near it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww and the burros had a baby with them. How cute is that!! I would love to have seen them. Yuma has a good eye ... and probably ears!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were cute staring our way because of Yuma's barking. Yuma is the best.

      Delete
  4. Most animals fear Fire. If you reassure him that it's okay he will slowly be less fearful of it.
    Great pictures of the Burros and scenery.
    With some practice you could be scrambling up those mountains like a teenager.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure about that scrambling Rick. Was glad to see the burros.

      Delete
  5. I camped across one of the burro trails a while back. I guess the like to follow the same track as they just brayed and refused to walk around.
    Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Jeff. They do follow the animal trail they made over the years as they come and go to wherever.

      Delete
  6. Great pictures of the Burros, Doug. We will certainly miss all those sites this winter. Keep posting them so we can enjoy the southwest thru you, this winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do Bill. Sad I won't be meeting your crowd of friends. I enjoyed our evening get togethers.

      Delete
  7. Your neighborhood is looking good. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elva. Tom and Deb are keeping me and Yuma busy.

      Delete
  8. Very nice Yuma altered you of the burros! Seems like things are b going good, except the battery issue! Probably getting a lot of steps in!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yuma keeps careful watch around here. No sneaking up on the White Lion. New batteries soon.

      Delete
  9. Very cool, never seen burros out there before.

    ReplyDelete