Sunday, December 13, 2020

Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument

I must have been tired last night because I didn't wake up till 8:30.  The sun was up and  there was a cool breeze this morning.  When I let Yuma out he saw that Tom and Deb were sitting outside and he raced over to greet them.  I was still in my PJs so it was a little later before I went over.

Today is their wedding anniversary.  We chatted a little bit and decided that we would spend their special day driving the Ajo Mountain Drive around the Diablo Mountains in the Pipe Organ Cactus National Monument.  Decided to leave around 11 o'clock and take both Jeeps.  Then it was breakfast time.

We left very close to 11 o'clock and drove the 34 miles down hwy 85 to the visitor center.  Before getting there we stopped at the entrance sign.

We went into the visitor center to sign in and then headed across the road to the scenic drive.  We have all done this several times before but there is always something new to see and the drive is just beautiful.  Warning there are lots of pictures because I couldn't pick just a few.

Following our leader Tom








Tom using his binoculars to find cave dwellings














Arches ahead


I thought I would be able to show you all of them but there are so many more.  You'll have to wait till tomorrow to see the Trump's wall and I have a very special cactus to show you, so be sure to come back.

It was a long but fun day for us.  Yuma got a little tired of the stopping and going though.  I was tired when we got back to camp around 5 o'clock.  When I looked at my steps for the day I could see why: 10,700.  Finally broke the 10,000 mark :)  

I was so hungry I could eat a horse.  Two bowls of cereal and a banana just wasn't doing it.  We said our goodnights and I fixed two hamburgers for Yuma and me and relaxed for awhile.  Now I'm finishing my blog and ready to call it a night.  I'm one tired cowboy!
Sunset from my front door
See you later.

18 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary to Tom and Deb! You and Yuma look good standing at the Organ Pipe entrance. All the pictures were beautiful. Love the different cacti and all the mountains. The arches are amazing. Will be looking forward to seeing more tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dolly. We had a great day for a road trip. Lots of different things to see. Got lots of pictures.

      Delete
  2. Good pictures Doug! I enjoyed tagging along! Take care, Rawn Stone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rawn. Long but enjoyable. Just a beautiful and rugged place. Glad we weren't on horseback :)

      Delete
  3. I told you before,your pictures make me homesick to join you .Your camera does a mighty fine job and I can blow them up for a closer look too. Don't give up the talent and keep those pictures coming. It is my treat for this year I guess to pretend I am there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wayne. Sounds as if you're from the southwest. It is beautiful here and I do love taking pictures of the wide open spaces we have out here 😀

      Delete
  4. Yes, that Ajo Loop drive is a great one and your right, there is always something new to see every time one drives it. I knew the first time we drove it we would be back to drive it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great repeat adventure. Always look forward to the drive. The Ajo area is one of my forever places. Thanks for leading me here Al.

      Delete
  5. I hope to drive that some day. You had me at cave dwellings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ajo isn't far from Tucson. I can show you around anytime.

      Delete
  6. Such a beautiful drive thru the desert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always lo e the views here. And to have nice roads makes it available for everyone 😊

      Delete
  7. Beautiful and the road looks good. Hope one day we can see this area in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elva. The road is very easy to travel. Not rutty or wasboardy at all. Come on over.

      Delete
  8. Looks like you had a Fun Filled Day exploring the Park.
    Also nice to help a special Couple celebrate their special day.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Rick. No going out to a romantic restaurant for them :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Organ Pipe and that drive! So gorgeous. I take it you didn't take lunch with you to be starving when you got back. I love all the arches and that sunset is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley. It is a beautiful drive. I wish I thought ahead far enough to take a sandwich but I'm too forgetful to do that. :)

      Delete