Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Computer Saga


Thankfully, last night Dolly reminded me it was an hour later in Yuma so I would have to get up by 7 o'clock to get there by opening time of 9 o'clock.

You will have to bear with me on my posts because without a computer I can't use my camera so I'm stuck with trying my best with my cellphone.  😞

I woke up by 6:30 and up by 7 right on time.  Decided to wait till after I return before having breakfast.   Don't want to rush the best part of the day 😀

Last night I googled computer repair shops and found Computer Solutions of Yuma that had a high review rating so decided on them.  Rather go to a small shop than a big one like Best Buy.

Yuma and I whizzed the 12 miles into their location and was there at 9:30 

Wasn't there very long.  Told the young lady that I had laid the laptop on its end where the start button is and now the button doesn't work.  She told me someone would call later today to let me know what's going on.

On the way home I could see a dilapidated homestead in the desert and Yuma and I went to investigate. 







Talk about leaving everything behind.  This place had everything!  Cars, bikes, busses and trucks not to mention all the buildings and water tower.  I was a little leery of wandering too far in.  Might be someone living back there.

We headed home and waited for our call.  Decided not to venture too far from home in case I was needed.  Plus it was windy all day with 14 mph winds keeping it a little cool with a high of 63.

It was around 4 o'clock when I heard a 4 wheeler come to a stop out on the road.  Two people were off and looking all around it so Yuma and I walked over to see if we could help.

One was a young lady and the other a young gentleman.  He had a big English accent.  After introductions I asked James and Elizabeth if I could help and boy do they need help.

They were from New Zealand and staying in the Pilot Knob long-term area.  They were headed into the desert to search for his truck that had gotten stuck last night in the sand dunes.  😳  

Problem is they can't remember where it is!  Now that is a problem.   Add onto that James broke his arm last week and couldn't dig it out so they walked home in the dark.  I would say James has lots of problems.

They got it started and were going to limp home with it.  I told them I would be happy to help if they needed it.  Just then my phone rang.

It was Stephen at the computer repair shop with good news, sort of. 😀  The start button had just fallen apart and a new start board would be $53 and labor $85.  That's great!  Bad news, with the holiday and Covid, the part won't arrive till the 7th 😞

I had to run back into Yuma to prepay the part so he could get ordered.   We quickly did that and gassed up the Jeep just in case.  I sure hope they take me up on my offer in the morning.  Like to show them some American hospitality.   Get that group of guys next door and we'll have them taken care of ASAP. 

Time for dinner and a little TV before dream time. 

See you later.


21 comments:

  1. Good luck to James and Elizabeth! Imagine running into 2 Kiwis in the middle of thee desert. That would be a tough job. Im glad your competer is an easy fix,, even if it takes awhile.digging out with a broken arm. I'm glad your computer is an easy fix, even if it takes awhile. Wow! That abandoned house did have everything! That old skeleton of a motorcycle was something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting people can be found in the desert. I do wonder what the history of that homestead was.

      Delete
  2. When I saw that stripped motorcycle, I thought it was WW I vintage at first, then I saw the HONDA cover plate. I'm surprised that you ventured that close after getting that gun shot the other day. Good luck on the computer repair. Could you bypass the starter switch for the time being so you could at least use it until the part came in? Maybe you need a used backup or a refurb chromebook? Phil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt fairly safe because Yuma wasn't acting skittish, but there were alot of buildings on the property. The young lady at the shop said there was a secondary start switch but I wasn't aware there is one. I've always brought a backup but for some reason I forgot it this time 😞

      Delete
  3. I am curious about your breakfast. Wondering what you routinely eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should KK 😀 I routinely have 12 Ritz crackers with peanut butter and cheese with two cups of coffee. Then either two bowls of cereal with a banana or bacon and eggs with a glass of milk. Then I finish with an orange and half a grapefruit. Then I'm ready to start my day around noon 😀

      Delete
  4. I was curious about about what you ate for breakfast, and know I now! Your choice if breakfast fascinates me but I don't why!Ha! And I bet you have eat like you do, and never have to weigh yourself. Anyway,take care, and I think we have too go through California, which believe it or not have some areas that have potholes! Take care, Rawn Stone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. The only problem I have with weight is being too thin. The diet I'm on now keeps my weight steady so I'm sticking with it. Where are you headed that could have potholes?

      Delete
    2. Believe it or not, California has some roads that needs repair.

      Delete
  5. I'm always fascinated by places like that with no one around. Like they just up and left everything. Maybe couldn't make the payments any more. As to James and Elizabeth, you are definitely right ... James has problems! LOL But I know you will help them out!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does make you wonder why. I think I-8 being built so close by may have made them move. Hoping I get a chance to help the kiwi out.

      Delete
  6. Good that your laptop is repairable, the data that it contains is worth much more than the fix.
    Strange that folks go into the desert unprepared, but it happens all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff. You're right about unprepared. Didn't ask James but I got the impression the truck is two wheel drive. Not good in loose sand. 😞

      Delete
  7. Oh my. Lesson learned by the Kiwis. Bet they won't do that again. I've always wanted to stop at that abandoned property. Thanks for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they have. Wondered if anyone else ever noticed that homestead so close to the check station.

      Delete
  8. A couple of years ago we stayed a week at the Imperial Dunes. I'm not a "dunes person". One of the things I learned from our friends is you never go alone. A young man came over and said his buddy wasn't able to come out cuz his work schedule changed. He asked if he could ride with our group. That's when I found out you always ride with someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I am very nervous around sand even in a four wheel drive Jeep. Don't go where there isn't a road.

      Delete
  9. Glad it's a quick fix on your Computer.
    Strange what gets abandoned in the desert.
    Good luck finding that truck.
    Have a Safe, Healthy and Happy New Year.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rick. Both of you have a nice New Year! Abandoned is the perfect word for that place.

      Delete
  10. That's quite the abandoned homestead...sad. Gosh I hope they find the truck..makes you wonder why some people do the things they do! Happy New Year Doug!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Old buildings and properties are always interesting places to explore and there are no shortages of them in the southwest.

    ReplyDelete