Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Drive along Ajo Mountain Range

I'm starting to wake up earlier in the morning now.  Yuma and I got up at 8 o'clock this morning.  Sun was just coming up and the temperature was rising.  Supposed to get to 80 today with some clouds.  Warm day coming.  I even got some early morning pictures of our area.




The clouds and the rustic color of the new day sun makes everything so golden and pretty I think.  Be sure to double-click on them to enlarge to see all the detail.

As usual though, I had my long drawn out breakfast while sitting in my lounge chair.  It's so hard to get motivated when I'm so comfortable.  Again it was noon before I was done with breakfast.  What a burden I have. :)  Thank goodness Yuma watches out for me.


It was 1:15 when Yuma and I decided to drive south to Why and into the Organ Pipe National  Monument but only a short way.  My plans are to take three bags of trash to the Ajo Peak viewing parking lot and dump it in the trash receptacle they have there.  30 mile round trip to dump trash but I did stop for pictures, of course.

We stopped in Why, Arizona so I could grab a few pictures of the quaint Why Not service station and store they have.  The only service station and store in Why.

The truck above plays music and usually has a waterfall pouring out the side door, but not today.  Below is the Why Not store front.

This is the backside of the bathroom mural.  The two below are on the front side.

Just thought this looked pretty.
After leaving Why, we continued South about five miles to the wayside parking lot with the trash bin.  As we headed South, the Little Ajo Mountain range is on my left.

Little Ajo mountain range and Ajo Peak.

Looking 15 miles North from the parking lot towards Black Mountain in the distance.

After we got home, it was quite warm so we rested awhile outside till 4:30 and then I fixed dinner for us.  Glad I could use the grill.  Too warm to cook inside.

After dinner we took a short walk as the sun set.  Beautiful out and absolutely no air moving at all.  Managed to walk 5770 steps today.  The picture below is looking East from our camp with the sun low in the West.

                                  

That's our day.  See you later.

22 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good day. Loved the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dolly. It was warm so managed to not do anything strenuous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! Worth all that effort getting there. Gord.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good, Doug. The scenery is awesome, I loved seeing the saguaro. We've still not made it to Ajo so now that we know how our lives can turn out, we HAVE to get it in our plans for our next southwest journey! :)
    I love the picture near the end of Yuma standing looking out at the mountains. You don't need to climb them though, stay safe. Shorts??? I'm sooooooo jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patsy. It is quite warm lately, but expected to drop back to 60s later this week. I think my climbing days are over. :( I think you have a big storm heading your way. Hope it is not too bad.

      Delete
  5. The Ajo mountain range was my first favorite mountain range years ago. Yes, that little store in Why is quite unique with its murals and old truck cab out front with water pouring out of its windows. A great area with a whole lot less people than further west closer to Yuma for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice here and has all the nice weather as Yuma does. And it is less crowded too.

      Delete
  6. What gorgeous scenery AZ has. We haven't been south of I-8, west of Tuscon. We really enjoyed our time in AZ last year. I hope we visit again someday. I'd love to visit Ajo and Why. I've read about so many of these places from other RVer's. Thanks for sharing your pictures. I'm glad someone is enjoying warm weather!! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This area is beautiful. The drive from Tucson to Why on hwy 86 is very nice. You two will have to come this way sometime.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing the pictures of Why. George and I loved the area. Once we found Coyote Howls East Campground, it became our favorite stopping spot west bound and east bound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzie. I thought of you two when in Why yesterday.

      Delete
  8. I'm jealous of the warm weather. It's been in the 30's every night here. Can't wait to get on the road to Arizona. One of these days I'll stop in at Why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been enjoying some nice warm days lately but it won't last forever. Cooler nights are coming. :( Have you ever been to the Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument. They have a beautiful scenic drive through the mountains.

      Delete
  9. Ah such the life! The murals in Ajo and Why are quite amazing! Find any crested cactus yet?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful. Yesterday it was very warm here too but I don't have your views and you don't have the fragrance of the feed lot. Enjoy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness I don't. I love the solitude here and you're right the scenery is nice too.

      Delete
  11. Really making us jealous with those temperatures and that scenery.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you two were really hoping to be in Q this year but not to be. It'll still be here next winter.

      Delete
  12. Looks like Locomotive Rock in the background of your third photo! Nice drive (and hike) in Alamo Canyon down in the park ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is. I will have to take a drive through the scenic drive in the Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument before I leave.

      Delete