Monday, January 11, 2016

Hiking Black Mountain

Monday, January 11, 2016

As I was drinking my coffee this morning around 7:30, I could hear a helicopter, so I went outside to see where it was.  It was hovering on Black Mountain near the large buldge on the left side of the top of the mountain.  (See photo below).  I wonder what they were looking for.

After breakfast and after the coolness of the morning had worn off, Yuma and I headed out for a walk.  My plans were for just a short walk, so I didn’t wear my boots or take any water with me. 

As we hiked south toward Black Mountain and as we passed the large wash and slowly climbed upward, I couldn’t stop from moving on.  I knew I couldn’t reach the top, but I knew I could make it to the lower ridge, so off we went, Yuma leading the way.  It is a big mountain.  We made it to the hill on the left side where the red “here” is.

Black Mountain

I think Yuma has learned about Cholla cactus, because he didn’t get stuck once; unlike me.  I fell several times climbing up the hill.  Old age has done a number on my balance. 

Cholla Cactus

On one fall, I went to wipe off my backside and grabbed onto a large ball of cactus.  You can see from the photo above how large those thorns are.  My first reaction was to grab it and pull it off.  That was a mistake.  I just got my other hand stuck.  Slowly, I found a few thorns, I could grab onto and pulled it off.  Luckily, all the barbs came off with it and I was as good as new.

Took a photo of our camp far below.

Camp from high above

Took a few photos of the scenery around me.

Mountains to the west  Mountains to the east

On my way back down, I got the following photo of the mountains to the west at ground level.

Mountains to the west

For the remainder of the day, I rested my feet.  It is going to take some time for me to build up the strength for long hikes uphill.

We finally had a pretty sunset this evening.

Sunset

See you later.

3 comments:

  1. Helicopters were likely gov't looking for border crossers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that too. But wondered why anyone would go over that mountain when it would be easier to go around. It is a hard climb for anyone.

      Thought it might be a fool like me, trying to climb to the top and got hurt.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful sunset pic Doug!! And I'm sorry you got some thorns in your hand!

    ReplyDelete