Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Visitors to our Camp

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

When the illegal alien came by our area yesterday afternoon, I thought that would be the last of that.  Well, I was wrong.

It was 9 PM and I was brushing my teeth and getting ready for bed, when there was a knock at the door.  Dolly turned on the light and opened the door and I was soon there to see two illegal aliens in the light asking for agua.  I knew that was water. 

I quickly grabbed a gallon bottle and told them to leave.  They kept talking to me in Spanish.  After about the third stern “You must leave now”, they took the hint and disappeared into the night.  I was shocked at how brazen they were to come up to our motorhome in the dark, but they did.

We also received a text from Dolly’s brother James saying that he and his wife, Debi would be driving over from Yuma for a visit.  They are from Murfreesboro, Tennessee and are visiting their son Clay for the week.

They arrived today around noon and we met them on Darby Well Road at the entrance to our U.S. Government estate.

Dolly saying hello to her brother

Arriving

Walking the road

The day was sunny and warm with a light breeze.  We sat out front and talked the day away.

James and DebiJames and Debi

We have not seen Debi for over 20 years, and it has been three years since James stopped by our house for a visit. 

Before we knew it, the air had a slight chill and the sun was getting low in the sky.  They had over a two hour drive to get back to Yuma, so we hugged and said our goodbyes.

Then they were off.

Heading to Yuma

Hopefully, it won’t be so long before the next visit.

See you later.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Doug, when my mother was a girl, in the Great Depression, there were lots of Hobos - she lived near a railroad track and often a hobo came up on the porch asking for food - my Grandmother would always give them a sandwich or even just a slice of bread and butter. But my Grandpa, not so much. If he was home, he had them looking down the barrel of a shotgun before they could even step foot on the porch. Anyway, they couldn't figure out why they still got so many Hobos - until they noticed one who had been lucky enough to encounter Grandma and he was putting a little notch in their gate - it was a Hobo sign to others that this might be a place to get some food. If I were you I would move my camp a few miles as you may be sitting on top of one of the many illegal alien or drug routes thru the desert - You really had no choice but to give them water and tell them to leave - but if they are brazen enough or desperate enough to come to your door at night there is no telling what they might do next. I am curious to know if your lone RV neighbor who gave them water previously is still standing her ground ?? If she is, I hope she has dogs and/or a gun. Y'all stay safe and listen to your gut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Moonfly. I thought those same thoughts about a marking near by. Our lone neighbor woman, did leave the next morning which is a good thing. She could hear my dogs barking and knew something was going on at our camp and that frightened her more. She has no protection except for us if she should yell out.

      We are nearing the end of our two week stay and will be heading up to an area near Quartszite tomorrow for the RV show up there.

      Thank you for sharing your memories of Grandma and Grandpa. I do feel sorry for them but we do have laws and I know there are bad people mixed in with the good ones, so cannot be too careful. Guess I have to be like Grandpa on this one.

      Delete
  2. Get your cell phone out and tell the your calling the border patrol.. That should scatter them quickly..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rod. I plan to stop a border patrol agent and ask what I should do in the future. Caught me by surprise this time.

      Delete