Monday, January 18, 2016

Rock Climb

Monday, January 18, 2016

Yesterday, Dolly and I stayed home and watched the football play-offs.  Arizona beat the Greenbay Packers in a squeaker in overtime, 26-20.  Dolly’s team, Denver barely beat Pittsburgh by 27-20.

This morning started out with clouds and remained mostly cloudy all day.  However, the temperature got to a nice 67 degrees. 

I have been taking evening sunset photos of a rock formation and decided to get a closer look.

Sunset

Sometime after noon, Yuma and I took the jeep and headed to the large rock formation about three miles west of here for a closer look.

Rock formation

Once I started climbing, I found that it was difficult because of all the loose gravel.  I had to use all fours like Yuma to climb sections of it.  It was easy for Yuma.  He had to wait for me.

Yuma

Yuma leading the way.

Yuma

Yuma

The front facade that faces east is fairly sheer and I could not climb it; but, when I walked around to the west side, It consisted of many rocks that we could manage.  These lead to the top large boulders that are seen from the east.

View  Rock formation

Photos of my view high on my perch in the rock formation.  The view was amazing, even on a mostly cloudy day.  Sure is vast out here.

Rock formation

View

View

View

You can see the jeep below in the center behind the Saguaro cactus if you look carefully.  Our camp is somewhere behind the jeep near the top.

Backpack and water jugs

There was alot of evidence that illegal aliens had been camping in the rocks.  I found a backpack and two water bottles.   The bottles were still half full.

Nothing but two blankets, some old clothes and food in the backpack.  No drugs.

DSC00885-001

Also, found a torn up jacket with the slogan “Power of Will”.

Torn up jacketJacket slogan

On the way to the rock formation, I passed an illegal alien walking down the dirt road.  Wonder if the backpack and water was his.

When I returned to camp, the camper behind us came over to tell us that an illegal alien had stopped by her camper and asked for water and wanted to know how far it was to Ajo.  She gave him a gallon of water and he was on his way.

She is alone in the camper and needless to say, she was frightened.  They normally shy away from people while moving through the desert.  This young man was just walking down the road. 

See you later.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you and Yuma had a great day climbing the huge rock formation - fantastic view from up there ! Glad Dolly and little Fergie were safe and sound when you got back to the RV. Lots of secrets and a little danger hidden in the desert - Y'all stay safe now !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Moonfly. There is a lot out there. One day I may find some gold or silver. That would make my day. So far just rocks. Lots of rocks.

      Delete
  2. You may want to take a day trip to this spot, south east of Ajo. The road is a little rough, but not too bad although a bit bumpy.
    The best marbles are on the hills backside. The front side has been picked over by people through the years.
    http://bnoble.users.sonic.net/wordpress/the-great-marble-adventure/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bob. I drove a short ways down Pipe Line Road the other day, but didn't know where it went so turned around. I wished I had read your blog earlier. Unfortunately, we are leaving for Quartszite in the morning, so will have to save this trip for another time.

      Delete
  3. That's Locomotive Rock! I camped near it a couple years ago, but at the jct of Darby & Bates this year. I think there was a coyote den between the rocks and some raptor nests. No aliens when I was there, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Nice to know the name. There are some beautiful and remote camp sites near Locomotive Rock.

      Delete